Thanks! We are grateful! We just wanted to say thank you for helping us with our school supplies. We appreciate all your help. So here’s a smile that you’ve helped put on our faces. 🙂 Thank you so much!
The Families Helping Families school supplies closet is open year-round for youth in the foster care system, relative or approved placement, or who have been adopted in family foster care.
During your visit to the Clothing Closet, let the volunteer know that you need school supplies.
Back to School Rally
Every year, Families Helping Families of Iowa hosts a Back to School Rally, providing around 300 backpacks to local students in foster care, approved/relative placement or those who have been adopted from foster care.
Who Qualifies for the Back to School Rally?
The Back to School Rally is only available to children who are currently in foster care, relative placement or other approved placement by the Department of Human Services, and to those adopted from foster care. Children must be between the ages of 1 and 18, and children over the age of 18 must have been re-entered into foster care or a special needs basis.
Donate to the Back to School Rally
Don’t have a kiddo to register but want to make a difference? We’re welcoming donations for our Back to School Rally. Below are the items needed for the different age groups for who we create backpacks. While your out at the store, feel free to pick up these essential items. You can drop them off at our office location during business hours, or at local businesses in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and Marion that will have tubs available for donation drop-offs!
- Bankers Trust- 400 Blairsferry Rd Ne Cedar Rapids
- Bankers Trust- 201 1st St SE Cedar Rapids
- Capri College – 2945 Williams Pkwy, Cedar Rapids
- DC Taylor Co. – 312 29th St NE, Cedar Rapids
- Geonetric – 415 12th Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Junior League – 317 7th Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Nadia’s Salon – 3210 Center Point Rd NE, Cedar Rapids,
- Pearson (CR) – 9200 Earhart Ln SW, Cedar Rapids
- Pearson (IC) – 2510 N Dodge St, Iowa City
- Rockwell Collins Child Development Center- 400 Collins Rd NE, Cedar Rapids
- Keller Williams Legacy Group – 4850 Armar Drive, Suite B, Cedar Rapids
- Styles Unlimited Plus – 132 Railroad St, Suite B, Norway, IA
- United Fire Group – 118 Second Ave SE, Cedar Rapids
- Rueter’s Equipment Sales: 77847 209th St Albert Lea, MN
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 1803 Radiant Rd Carroll, IA 51401
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 1132 31st Ave Council Bluffs, IA 51501
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 2425 NE 126th Ave Elkhart, IA 50073
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 306 4th St Grand Junction, IA 50107
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 1827 Tieken Rd Osceola, IA 50213
- Reuter’s Equipment Sales: 4730 S York St Sioux City, IA 51106
|Elementary School K-5 (180 needed)||Middle School 6-8 (85 needed)||High School 9-12 (80 needed)|
|• Back Pack (no wheels)|
• 1” 3 ring binder (white)
• Crayola Crayons 24 pack
• Crayola Markers (thin & thick)
• Colored Pencils
• Dry erase markers (4)
• Elmer’s glue
• Folders (4)
• Fiskars scissors
• Glue Sticks (4)
• Pencil box or zippered Pouch
• Eraser (1 pink)
• Kleenex (2 boxes)
• Spiral notebooks (4 wide ruled)
• Composition Book (2)
• Pencils (2 packs of 24)
• Pens (blue, black, red)
|• Back Pack|
• Trapper with zipper (include a pencil case insert)
• 2 boxes #2 pencils
• 1 package blue or black pens
• 5 spiral notebooks (1 subject)
• 3 packages lined notebook paper
• 2 reams of white copy paper
• 1 box colored pencils
• 2 boxes of Kleenex
• 1 basic calculator
• 3 packages 3X5 note cards (white lined)
• Flash drive
• Hand sanitizer
• Disinfecting wipes
• 1” 3 ring binder
• 5 folders with pockets
• 2 composition notebooks
• Earbud headphones
• 1 black sharpie
• 2 book covers
• 2 pads of Post-it-Notes
|• Box of pencils|
• Box of Pens (blue or black)
• Box of red pens
• 5 composition notebooks
• 5 folders with pockets
• 1 pack of graph paper
• 1 pack of loose leaf paper
• 1 pad of post-it-notes
• 1 ruler with centimeters & inches
• 1 scientific calculator
• 1 scotch tape
• 1 stapler, box of staples, & staple remover
• 3 three-ring binders with subject dividers
• 1 bottle correction fluid
• 1 pack index cards
• Student planner
• 1 package mechanical pencils
• 5 single subject notebooks
Donate to the School Supplies Closet Year-round
Through your generosity and support, we prepare children who are in foster care, relative, or other approved placement throughout the area for their first day back to school.
While many children are uprooted from their family home, having a reliable stock of school supplies helps alleviate the anxiety that often accompanies the “starting over” of a new school. This steady stock of school supplies can help relieve that financial stress during the school year.
Throughout the years, Families Helping Families of Iowa, local businesses, organizations and individuals have helped area youth reach academic goals.If you’d like to donate to the School Supplies Closet, read the list of highest needs below:
- Pencils – #2, mechanical
- Pens – blue, black or red
- Notebooks and notebook paper – spiral notebooks or loose leaf, wide and college ruled
- Composition notebooks
- Graph paper
- White copy paper
- Elmer’s Glue and glue sticks
- Backpacks (all ages)
- Pencil box, bag or storage
- Washable markers – thin and thick
- Colored pencils
- Dry erase markers
- Scissors – Fiskars, small or large
- Protractor sets
- Calculators – basic and scientific
- USB drives
- Note cards and Post-it notes
Just a quick note to say Thank You on behalf of the kids in Delaware County. The backpacks were distributed quickly and the kids enjoyed picking them out! We look forward to working with you in the future.
Delaware Social WorkersDelaware County, IA
Just a quick note to say thanks for all your help with the donation of the backpacks. It is greatly appreciated. The kids always love getting new backpacks with goodies inside. Thanks again!
You have no idea how appreciative these families are, and we here at DHS as well, to have received all these wonderful backpacks! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
MarieDepartment of Human Services
I wanted to thank you very much for the school supplies and the hair cut vouchers. I have four children and this was very helpful! Thank you for all you do for our community’s children in foster care.
Thank you for the backpack and the notebooks and everything you do for people who need it.