Spread Your Wings Activities Scholarships
Families Helping Families of Iowa launched the Spread Your Wings program in 2010 to help provide scholarship funding for children in foster care, relative placement, or other approved placement by providing support to participate in extracurricular activities.
Studies have shown that extracurricular activities for children help increase awareness in the classroom and provide a sense of belonging, which positively impacts self-esteem and self-discipline.
Funded Activities & Experiences
The Spread Your Wings scholarships fund a range of activities for school-aged children including, but not limited to:
- Art lessons
- Music programs and lessons
- Special Olympics
- Sports – including gymnastics, martial arts, soccer, football, basketball, etc.
- Summer camps
- Other children’s interests
Program fees covered by Spread Your Wings
The Spread Your Wings scholarships also help cover various program and activity fees, including but not limited to:
- Membership fees
- Uniforms and/or specialty footwear
Who Qualifies for Spread Your Wings Scholarships?
Any school-aged child in foster care, relative placement or other approved placement by the Department of Human Services are eligible to apply. Children must be between the ages of 1 and 18. If a child is over the age of 18, he or she must have re-entered into foster care or a special needs basis.
How to Apply for Spread Your Wings Scholarship
- Enroll your child/children in the class, lesson, sport, or activity and request an invoice from the vendor or organization with whom you’re enrolling. Forward the invoice to Families Helping Families of Iowa for payment. Invoices can be scanned and uploaded below, emailed to email@example.com or dropped off or mailed to our office at 3516 Center Point Road NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402.
- Apply for a scholarship through our online application at the bottom of this page.
- If your application is approved, Families Helping Families of Iowa will pay the vendor directly. We will not pay for any approved Spread Your Wings activities without an invoice. Do not pay your invoice prior to approval of your application as we will not reimburse you.
Caregivers only need to apply for a specific class or activity one time. You can only apply for one unique activity every 12 months/calendar year, per child. Families Helping Families of Iowa will continue to pay for the activity as long as the child is enrolled and a monthly invoice is received. Each new activity or new enrollment for another child requires the completion of a new application. A child already receiving a Soaring Towards Success tutoring scholarship is not eligible for a Spread Your Wings activity scholarship until the next calendar year. A child can not receive a Spread Your Wings activity scholarship and a Soaring Towards Success tutoring scholarship in the same year.
Please Read: Funding Requests & Information
Families must first request financial assistance through the desired program before applying for funding from Families Helping Families of Iowa. Applications must include an invoice for the cost of the activity. In order for funding to continue, an invoice must be provided each month that funding is requested. Failure to provide an invoice each month will result in denial of funding.
Funding will not cover items for which the State of Iowa will reimburse. All requests to Families Helping Families of Iowa are subject to board approval before funds are granted. Requests are reviewed monthly. Families Helping Families of Iowa reserves the right to reject funding for any reason. Checks are made payable directly to the business or organization providing the activity. No checks will be issued directly to foster parents. We are unable to reimburse foster parents for activities which are already paid.