We saw a tremendous season of giving during the 2016 holidays. From clothing donations, gifts for our Christmas party and so much more we are extremely greatly for each person that helped out FHF. From businesses or individuals, the list is endless. We can’t say thank you enough to EVERYONE who helped make a difference. Here are a few highlights and thank-yous:
- Verizon Conferencing for donating 100 fleece tie blankets for our Clothing Closet
- Carter’s for selecting FHF for the Pajama Program
- Burlington for the the winter coats donated through its Coat Drive
- Ob-GYN Associates for donating new socks and underwear
- The voters and citizens who helped FHF receive $10,050 of in-kind donations through Gazette Gives Back advertising campaign
- Dozens of individuals for donating 60+ dozen cookies for our Christmas Party
- St. Luke’s Hospital for gift cards to Hy-Vee
- Cedar Rapids Claims Associates for gift cards to numerous businesses
- Capri College for being part of our Haircuts for Kids program at all of their area locations
- Many other individuals and businesses for clothing and monetary donations
- Hundreds of individuals and businesses for donating toys for almost 400 children at our Christmas Party. Local businesses include:
- Baby Time
- Bankers Trust
- Capri College
- Clipper Wind Power
- Collage Community School
- Educare Learning Center
- Elderkind and Pirnie
- Famers State Bank
- Hair Gallery
- Iowa Reality
- Jenkins Chiropractic
- Nadia’s Salon
- New Covenant Bible Church
- Nordstrom Direct
- Rockwell Collins
- Sister’s Health Club
- True North
- United Fire Group
- Numerous Individuals
…and the Giving Keeps Going!
As we kick of 2017 we would love to keep the momentum going. There are a number of ways you can get involved with our organization.
Our first event this year is a Quilt-A-Thon: Quilting for Children in Foster Care. The goal of this event is to make quilts for children in foster care. From donating materials, cutting fabric, sewing, donating lunch or snack there are a number of ways to get involved. To sign-up and learn more and sign-up for the Quilt-A-Thon.
Our Clothing Closet provides new or gently used clothing to children in foster care. This service is open year around and invaluable to foster families. When a child enters foster care they often have very little so the closet helps a family save on that expense. Our top needs include:
- New socks and underwear
- Diapers and pull-ups
- Baby wipes
- Boy’s clothing sizes 6-10
Throughout the year there are a number of ways to volunteer your time at FHF. We couldn’t help families without all the volunteers that help our organization. Here are the volunteer opportunities available. To become a volunteer, complete a short volunteer application.
- When: Monday-Friday 8-2 and Sunday 1-3
- What: Organize, sort, hang up clothing, light cleaning, etc.
- When: Monday-Friday 8-2
- What: Light cleaning, yard work, cleaning windows, etc.
- When: See Schedule of Events. Some preparation assistance is needed prior to event so contact FHF.
- What: Setup, registration, managing crafts, tear down, promoting event and much more as needed for each event
Donate now to Families Helping Families of Iowa and help our unique organization continue to provide resources and support to foster children and families across Iowa, from children in foster care to relative placement and other approved placement scenarios. Your donation provides support for events, our school supplies and clothing closet, scholarship opportunities and much more.